St Peter's Catholic School, originally called St Theresa's Convent School, was first opened by the Sisters of Mercy in 1927.
In the early days, many children boarded in the large Convent. In 1969, St Theresa's Convent School was re-named St Peter's Catholic School after the patron saint of the Parish of Halifax. At this stage, the boarding component of the school was discontinued.
Leadership in the school was provided by the Sisters of Mercy until 1976. St Peter's Catholic School is now administered by a lay Principal and staff.
St Peter's Catholic School is an integral part of the Halifax community. The traditions and histories of local families have been intertwined within the school for generations. We compliment the small community of Halifax by reflecting a friendly, welcoming and professional learning environment for all children.