St Peter's Catholic School, was originally called St Theresa's Convent School, and was first opened by the Sisters of Mercy in 1927. In its early days, young boys boarded in the large convent adjacent to the school which was located on the present netball courts. On 8 June 1969, the existing school building was blessed and opened by the Most Rev. Leonard Anthony Faulkner D.D., Bishop of Townsville. The building was erected on the original site of St Peter's Church which, in the early days, served as church and school. The church is now located behind the school in Scott Street.
The Sisters of Mercy completed their service to the Parish in 1976 and the first lay principal was appointed in 1977. Since then, there have been eight lay principals who have continued to emphasise the Catholicity of the school.
Today, St Peter's Catholic School continues to strive towards excellence in the development of all aspects of the child: spiritual, academic, social, cultural and physical.